Sunday, September 4, 2011

Just getting through transplant, one day at a time.

It's day + 8 post transplant already! (it's now day +9 as I try to finish this post I started yesterday!) Jacob is doing pretty well still but he's really starting to feel the side effects of all he's been through.  Outside, he looks really good...great actually.  His insides are pretty torn up right now though, but he's handling it very well.  The chemo he got which took out his bone marrow also damaged his digestive tract. Since the lining of the digestive system is so tender and made up of fast growing cells, it is affected severely by the chemo and it causes what they call Mucusitis. Thankfully, the ones inside his mouth have been staying near the back so he is still able to talk and sip water.  The damage is all down his esophogus though and it really hurts in his chest now.  His stomach won't tolerate anything other than water right now so he also get's nauseous a lot.  All of this is "normal" though and it's all the stuff that the Doctors expected to see.  They see it all the time and they know how to help him through it.  He has pain medicine and anti-nausea medicine that does a pretty good job so we are thankful for that.

Update for today...the above was written yesterday: The mouth sores have officially settled in the front of his mouth. This morning, it became to hard to talk and his pain medicine got increased with a higher continuous rate plus a higher demand dose. It helped a lot, but nothing can really stop the pain completely. It just makes the pain more bearable. 

I've been wanting to finish the story about the transplant and post all of the pictures we took on 8/26 of Jericho and Jacob.  I haven't been on because Jericho had some mild complications and I went home to be with him for 3 days.  I leave my computer at the hospital so I didn't get any writing or even update on facebook for several days.  I also decided that while I'm at the hospital, if Jacob is awake, I stay off the computer.  When he is awake, I want to be with him even if we are just watching a TV show together.    He is sleeping right now, so let's go back to that story... I'll start a new post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for reading our story. It means so much to me that people care enough to follow us and share in our journey through Jacob's treatment and recovery. Please know that I read every comment and I treasure every one! I may not have time to comment back, but I will keep writing and sharing our story.

Contributors