Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Time at home together...

We had 14 days at home together with Jacob.  It was so nice and the thing that amazes me the most is how quickly he recovers when he is out of the hospital! Just watching him, I told everyone that each day was a 100% improvement from the day before.  We were busy this time with so much to do to get ready for the transplant.  Unlike our other "vacations" from the hospital, this break was full of appointments, lab draws, meetings and even exams and labs for Jericho to be sure that both he and Jacob are ready for this process.  ...and they are! All of the exams and reports show that they are both in great shape to do the transplant.  The most encouraging part is that Jacob is not showing any signs of damage from any of the chemo he has received so far.  This is what I pray for him every day, that his body will be protected from any long term damaging effects and that he will be able to heal completely from each treatment.  I'm so thankful for the answers to my prayers and how much God loves him and takes care of him! It's amazing that his organs can take so much abuse and then clear that poison right out of his system and function just as they should again.  This is the blessing of fighting this disease as a young kid. Their bodies are so much more resiliant than adults.  As hard as it is to see our boy go through this, I'm so glad that he is young, strong and healthy enough to fight it -- and win! 

During the time at home, Jacob got to spend a night camping with Josh his friend Tom and the other boys. Joshua and John stayed home with me to help with the big Yard Sale & Bakesale that Tom's family had organized for us.  Jacob had a good time, although he was pretty tired and was having a lot of cramping and stomach problems.  I think it just felt so good for him to be outdoors again and doing something he loves to do so much.  They stayed just one night, but it was another great memory. (I hope they got some pictures!...if so, I'll post them here later)

Speaking of the Yard/BakeSale!!!  It was a HUGE success! I was so amazed and just in awe all day at the amount of people who came to help and people who came to shop too! I want to list and mention a thank you to everyone who helped to make it happen, but honestly...there are so many people, I couldn't possibly.  So, I'll just say thank you and add that words are not sufficient to express our gratitude.  I don't know how to express the feelings and appreciation we have and explain how this has lifted a burden and brought a little peace into our lives during this stressful time.  Thank you is just not enough.  Another mom said something I have felt so strongly through this and since our family has become the recipients of such an outpouring of service, love and support.  I've decided to start recording all the things that we have learned through this.  I know my list will grow every day, but here is one thing; "I have learned what kind of person I want to be from being on the receiving end of such acts of kindess." (thank you Crystal for saying that so well)  We have had many times in our lives that we have been blessed by others. This one definitely tops them all, but once again I find myself hoping and praying for the day that we can be able to bless and support others the way that we have been blessed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for reading our story. It means so much to me that people care enough to follow us and share in our journey through Jacob's treatment and recovery. Please know that I read every comment and I treasure every one! I may not have time to comment back, but I will keep writing and sharing our story.

Contributors