Monday, July 25, 2011

Better Days...

Jacob had a better day today. Not much to report.  He started his new medication called Topomax (if you have migraines or ever been treated for seizures, maybe you know this one) They chose it because it is supposed to be able to relieve "inter-cranial pressure".  Jacob's pressure seems to be caused by an excess of spinal fluid and it might be the reason for his headaches and swollen optic nerves.  I'm really hopeful for this medicine to work.  He had relief from his headaches for about a day after the LP since they drained off some of the excess spinal fluid, but this afternoon it seems they have returned again...bummer!  So, I'm really hoping that this new medicine will make a difference and begin to solve the problem. 

Since that's all the news for today, I thought I'd share some of the good stuff we got to do last time he was home from the hospital and post some pictures.  Jacob was home from June 21 to July 5, two whole weeks this time! We tried to do as much fun stuff as possible with him during that time although for the first week, we were still having to move some things and clean up at the old house.  That was so hard to have to be hauling stuff off for the dump and the thrift store instead of being able to spend time with him. It was such a relief when the job was finally done and we could just enjoy some time as a family together.

One of Jacob's best friends is Tom.  His family has a "cabin" in Midway that they share for family vacations with the rest of their family members.  They have been trying to get us to be able to spend a weekend with them for a long time and ever since Jacob was diagnosed we have been hoping that we could make it happen since he has been there with Toms family before and it is one of his favorite places to be in Utah. Since Jacob was in the hospital a little longer than expected last round, the timing didn't quite work as we had hoped, but we did get to go up for three days and 2 nights.  It was amazing and just being there made me so happy.  Having all of our family together and just being able to relax away from the chaos of moving and the stress of hospital life was so healing for all of us.  Jacob got to spend those days with one of his best friends, go fishing and even go shooting with his Dad. We made him some of his favorite meals and Linda taught me how to make buttermilk syrup for our french toast breakfast....yum! 
POST PICTURES HERE - that reminder is for me..haha.  I have a whole bunch of great pics from that weekend, but they are all saved on my hard drive at home.  Sorry for the wait!

On the Sunday before the 4th of July, we had a truly wonderful day.  Jacob had been to the clinic on the Thursday before and we found out that his blood counts were almost completely normal! He was just on the low side of normal for everything, but better than they had ever been since the beginning of his battle with leukemia. It was so nice to be able to relax a bit and let him just enjoy a few things.  One thing we were told when he was diagnosed is that he probably wouldn't be able to go to church or school until he was through this.  He has had the sacrament brought to him at the hospital and at home every Sunday but we miss having him with us at church.  On that Sunday, we decided it would be safe for him to go.  He actually got to pass the sacrament with his quorum of young men and he was sustained and set apart for his new priesthood status of a Teacher.  Everyone at church was so glad to see him and it was such a treat for us to "show off" our strong young man and let everyone see how the Lord is working in his life and healing him.  We just stayed for sacrament and then went home though.  We didn't want to overdo it. 

After church we packed a little picnic and headed up to Park City for the afternoon.  We set out some blankets and had a wonderful time just hanging out together.  Noelle & Ryan brought a Frisbee and a volleyball. We also played "the hand slappin' game" and had an arm wrestling match.  We were surprised to find out that Jacob can still take down everyone in the family -including me- except for his Dad and Ryan! I really did try to beat him and there was no way.  Noelle tried with two hands and didn't have a chance! This time, I've got a few fun pictures to share...
First, he took down Noelle...

 She wanted a re-match...
                                     ....and then decided to cheat with two hands just to make the match more even.    -she still lost.
 Joey challenged mom and Jericho helped by making my muscles look bigger.  I have to say, that kid put up a fight...he is pretty unbelievably strong for 9 years old!
 After quite the battle, I took him down... :)  (I think there's a scene like this in our favorite TV show, Malcolm in the Middle - the mom tells the boys that they can have their way if they can beat her in an arm wrestle and she beats them all..haha - I guess you're out of luck still, Joey) ...but not for long!
 Joshua was fun, just look at that face.  He wants to beat me soooo bad!
 We decided it wasn't fair cuz Joshua is left handed, so we reversed the match and I tried him left handed.
...I still beat him!  Yesssss!

 Noelle and I just had to give it a try...Just look at Jacob's smile back there in the background, he got such a kick out of this.
 Jacob and Jericho are just laughing their heads off watching this match... So are Noelle and I.
 Well, since all the other boys had their chance. Jacob had to give me a go.  I thought I might have a chance considering the kid's got cancer right??? Now way, he still took me down in no time flat! ...and I was trying, I promise.
 I just had to add this one of Noelle and Ryan.  Did you really think you had a chance Noelle? She's got both hands up there, ready to take him.  Just look at the confidence in her face...haha.

                                                   
We just thought it would be fun to get this shot.  Look at all those feet! This gives you an idea of the battles I have had about putting shoes away.  The shoes in our family take over the house...watch your step!
This one is really worth enlarging on your screen. I think if you click or double click it will get bigger.  The expressions on everyone's face is just priceless here. 

And finally... Jacob and Jericho.  Having a brotherly moment together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for reading our story. It means so much to me that people care enough to follow us and share in our journey through Jacob's treatment and recovery. Please know that I read every comment and I treasure every one! I may not have time to comment back, but I will keep writing and sharing our story.

Contributors