Thursday, July 21, 2011

The first blood transfusion

Here's an entry from my journal about the first night we spent at the hospital with Jacob.  When they told me he would need a blood transfusion, I was so scared and I immediately said he should only have blood from me or his Dad since we were both there.  They explained to me that that wouldn't be possible because he needed it right away and it would take too long.  There were other reasons that they said they would explain later and we accepted it at that.  It was so scary that first time for all of us.  Just the sight of the bag of blood made Jacob nauseous and we have since learned to cover the bag up with a pillow case so he doesn't have to look at it.  Since then, he has had almost 40 transfusions plus more of platelets and plasma as well.  I'll get the exact number sometime soon and post that here.  It's hard to believe how much blood he needs to stay alive right now...we are so thankful for all the donors that do this for these kids! 
Here's my entry from a memory on April 8-9:

"Jacob got his first unit of blood that night.  We learned about how this blood was going to make him feel and what it would do for him. He got another one in the morning.  I soon realized how much blood these kids go through in the ICS floor.  In the morning, he looked better.  He had color in his face and his hands were not cold and clammy anymore.  The first thing I noticed is that he was warm.  He got so hot that he threw off his blankets and made me turn down the thermostat in the room. It was wonderful. He also began to think more clearly. He was so quick and witty. He was excited to know that we had answers and he had confidence that this would be quick and we’d be home again soon. “I’m so glad we caught this now mom. In the eighth grade, when it still doesn’t count. Next year I’ll be able to do better in school. I’ll be able to think better. I can’t wait to get all A’s!” It was truly amazing to see. He noticed the white board where the dr. had written out the diagnosis and the treatment plan for the next 2 days.  He noticed that the Dr. had spelled tonite, instead of tonight.  Wow, he’s back. I thought."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for reading our story. It means so much to me that people care enough to follow us and share in our journey through Jacob's treatment and recovery. Please know that I read every comment and I treasure every one! I may not have time to comment back, but I will keep writing and sharing our story.

Contributors