Saturday, July 23, 2011

Total turnaround

To look at him now, you wouldn't believe all that he went through yesterday. He just never ceases to amaze me. As I said when all this began - and all his life, he's truly the toughest kid I know.  Yesterday morning, the nurse kept prepping me that he would likely be headed to the PICU.  Nope, he didn't want to go there. Didn't want to pack up & re-set up his PS-3 and didn't want to lose his room with the HDTV! So, we stayed upstairs. Good job Jacob!

He is much better tonight.  The morning started out busy, but the rest of the day was a breeze and when I got back from Jericho's birthday party, he was sitting up in bed with his table parked in front of him and the big bright overhead light ON! (He never lets anyone turn on that one. It lights up like an operating room and he's been really sensitive to bright lights) Well, he needed good lighting to work on his 1966 Mustang model with John.  They had parts all over the place and they were watching "Top Gear".   ...boys and their toys.  John is really good at keeping Jacob busy and occupied.  Every time I come when they are up here together, Jacob is up and doing something...even if it's just playing "Call of Duty", he's engaged in something...keeping his mind off all that he's going through. 
That's pretty much all he did for the rest of the day. He worked on his car and watched television shows about cars.

About the morning... well, that was a different story.  He was sleeping so good this morning and he actually got a pretty good night's sleep last night.  I got up and tried bracing myself for the days events. I wasn't really over the anxiety from the day before so I was still emotional. (I'm really a sissy by the way) When I talked to the nurse about Jacob's night and the things that were worrying me, I started crying again...dang it!-I hate when that happens. Jacob was scheduled for an LP (lumbar puncture/back poke) at 12:00.  I just wasn't comfortable letting them put Jacob to sleep for the procedure, but I knew they had to do it. Dr. Wright and Dr. Abraham came to talk to me about the procedure. She explained that they didn't want to put him under anesthesia either and proposed that we give him some medicine that would relax him and make him forget all about it. After my usual list of questions (I always ask a lot of questions...drives Jacob crazy), I consented for them to do it.  Well, they were wrong about forgetting all about it and being comfortable with the relaxing drug.  He was awake all the way through it and remembers every detail.  Very painful and very scary for him.

He went through the procedure just fine and I got to watch the whole thing as they checked the pressure in his spinal fluid, drained some of it to  send to the lab and then took some more to relieve pressure.  I'm really getting an education around here. 

The results of the LP showed no leukemia cells and no bacteria. The only thing they did find is that the pressure was too high and that could be the cause of his headaches and trouble with his eyes. Normal pressure is around 20-22.  His was 37.  Taking some of the pressure off, did what they had hoped and his headaches have been much better this afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for reading our story. It means so much to me that people care enough to follow us and share in our journey through Jacob's treatment and recovery. Please know that I read every comment and I treasure every one! I may not have time to comment back, but I will keep writing and sharing our story.

Contributors